[Sca-cooks] OT - Picking up the Pieces

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 4 20:40:07 PDT 2005

Ah yes, Reynold's pocket meals!  Most of the Scout leaders saw that in the
Reynold's Wrap commercials (although I think the idea may have originated in
Boy's Life) and they never explore the full range of cooking in and on foil,
nor do they explore cooking on spits or planks.  In fact, I doubt seriously
if many of them have ever explored the culinary possibilities of the Boy
Scout mess kit.

They are impressed by the trick of preparing breakfast in a paper cup or
paper bag.  It's a great attention grabber, but you need to have basic
cooking skills to move beyond the parlor tricks.

In my view, pocket meals are okay for a one day outing, but for two or more
days, some serious cooking is in order.  I will say I prefer pocket meals
over C-rations, the MRE's of my days in Scouting.

Bear