[Sca-cooks] A Challenge to Find a Dish

Robin rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 7 08:49:41 PDT 2005

iasmin at comcast.net wrote:

>  For an SCA "family" potluck, find a dish using these guidelines:
>
>  -- The name of the dish must start with the first initial of your
>  first name or the first initial of your last name. You cannot use
>  your middle name if you have one.

I think I'd bring Berenjenas a la Morisca (Moorish Eggplant)

BERENJENAS A LA MORISCA

Peel the eggplants and quarter them, and their skins having been peeled,
set them to cook; and when they are well-cooked, remove them from the
fire, and then squeeze them between two wooden chopping blocks, so they
do not retain water. And then chop them with a knife. And let them go to
the pot and let them be gently fried, very well, with good bacon or with
sweet oil, because the Moors do not eat bacon. And when they are gently
fried, set them to cook in a pot and cast in good fatty broth, and the
fat of meat, and grated cheese which is fine, and above all, ground
coriander; and then stir it with a "haravillo" like gourds; and when
they are nearly cooked, put in egg yolks beaten with verjuice, as if
they were gourds.

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom