[Sca-cooks] RE: Basque Food

Micheal dmreid at hfx.eastlink.ca
Wed Sep 7 09:17:57 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: <agora at algonet.se>
To: "Micheal" <dmreid at hfx.eastlink.ca>; "Cooks within the SCA"
<sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>;
<sca-cooks-bounces+agora=algonet.se at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] RE: Basque Food

> My arabic friends tell me Paella is either Basque or Spanish, it's arabic!
> The word
> "paella" comes from "Baquiyah, which means leftovers! But in some parts of
> the
> Arab world the word is "paella". Byt my catalan friends the word come from
> "patella",
> a fryingpan in their dialect.
> But according to my sources the origin of the dish is Valencia, They were
> made
> under a popular festival, the Fallas. And they use huge plates to cook in
> the street
> and invite everyone to share.
> In Valencia, Catalonien, some of the paella is made with noodles and not
> with rice
> and it's called "fideoada".
> Surely the basques make excellent fish dishes but they are done in the
> whole
> Mediterranean ara. The french Buillabuisse, a thick and reddish fish soup,
> it's one.
> Ana

 Greetings
 So I take it you meant neither Basque or Spanish but Arabic which helps.
 Knew about Valencia, the other names are very helpful thank you . I do not
have a Patella but use  ancient cast iron pans of equivalent nature.
 You can also get peas or beans as the base, didn`t know about noodles
thanks.
 Also knew about the Basque and their plethora of dishes for fish, which
also I have found to be also used in Paella such as shell fish mostly.
 Primarily though I am looking for leads to period recipes of Paella.
 Cealian Of Moray