[Sca-cooks] RE: Basque Food

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 7 12:13:03 PDT 2005

If you go back far enough, paella derives from the Greek "patane" meaning
platter.  The Latin "patella" is a diminutive of "patina" and commonly
refers to a kneecap shaped frying pan similar to a modern paella pan.  The
Arabic use of paella is probably from contact with the Europeans.

The Romans ate similar mixed seafood dishs, such as Embractum Baianum, so
paella is very possibly a fusion of Arabic rice and Roman cooking.

Bear