[Sca-cooks] RE: Basque Food

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 10:43:26 PDT 2005

According to the Oxford Companion to Food, Paella actually refers to the pan it is made in
and not the food, although through the ages, it has come to mean the food now.

According to the OCF, it is a mixture of Roman tools [the Patella] and Arabic cookery.  There
are references to it in 13th and 14th century Toledo, but no recipes.  It is apparently
originally from Islamic Andalucia.  And it was intended to be a group dish eaten directly
out of the pan.  There apparently is mention of such dishes in the "Libro de Sent Sovi".

The article in the OCF was written by Lourdes March, who is an authority on Spanish cookery.

Huette