[Sca-cooks] RE: Basque Food

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Wed Sep 7 12:35:54 PDT 2005

There is also "The Basque Kitchen" by Gerald Hirigoyen. But it is modern
recipes, many his renditions. Though both books have what I consider an ewww
factor recipes. Chiptrones en su tinta (Squid in it's own ink) and Txipiroia
Beren Saltsan (stuffed squid in ink sauce). The latter has a picture, the
sauce looks like a cross between plum sauce and an oil slick. I can't begin
to describe the stuffed squid. :P

(TWGoS)The TBC book reminded me that I had come across information that
Millet was the main grain as wheat was hard to grow in the area.
Also, before a certain type of oak died out in the area, acorns were another
flour source. (side note: you can get a starch from acorns)
Chestnuts was interchangeable or mixed with millet.