[Sca-cooks] A Challenge to Find a Dish

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Sep 7 16:20:41 PDT 2005

At 03:33 PM 9/7/2005, you wrote:
>Please post your redaction!
>
>Thank you,
>Christopher

Mmblememlbele....

I usually cook directly off of the recipe, but I'll try to reconstruct what
I did...

>>>Chekyns in browet
>>>
>>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>This is an excerpt from Liber cure cocorum.
>>>The original source can be found on Thomas Gloning's website.
>>>
>>>Chekyns in browet. Take chekyns, scalde hom fayre and clene. Take
>>>persole, sauge, oþer herb3, grene Grapus, and stope þy chekyns with
>>>wynne. Take goode brothe, sethe hom þerinne, So þat þay sone boyled may
>>>be. Coloure þe brothe with safrone fre, And cast þeron powder dowce, For
>>>to be served in goode mennys howse.

I used a roasting chicken because that's what they had at Safeway. I took a
handful of parsley, some sage, some rosemary, and chopped them up together.
I took some Thompson's seedless grapes (again, because those were the green
grapes available when I was at the store, and I didn't have time to go
elsewhere), a softball-sized bunch,split each grape in half, and mixed them
in with the herbs. I pulled the giblets out of the chicken and rinsed it
thoroughly inside, then stuffed the grapes and herbs inside, and pinned it
closed with a bamboo skewer. *note*- the recipe says to stuff the chicken
with 'wynne'- which is not wine! 'Wyn' or 'win' is wine- the word 'wynne'
is either the word 'joy' (from the OE) or the verb 'gather' or 'come'.
Which make more sense to me than trying to stuff or stop up a chicken with
wine! So I gathered the opening and pinned it closed with my skewers. I
boiled the chicken in a pot of broth (Knorr's cubed- travels better than
canned) with a generous amount of saffron (I happen to like saffron) until
the joints were loose (at home about 45 min- but in camp with the wind
blowing, about an hour and ten), turning it over two or three times. When
it was done, I wrestled it out of the pot and into the serving dish, pulled
out the skewers, and loosened up the stuffing, then sprinkled a bit of
cinnamon sugar over it (I don't know where my powder douce went to, but it
wasn't in my cook basket) and gave it to Edouard to carve. People ate and
made nummy noises, so I guess it was good.

Will that suffice?

'Lainie
"No people can be great who have ceased to be virtuous."
Samuel Johnson: An Introduction To The Political State of Great Britain