OT Re: [Sca-cooks] The noise of modern life

Patrick Levesque petruvoda at videotron.ca
Wed Sep 7 18:10:41 PDT 2005

R. Murray Schafer (in 'The Soundscape') actually has a fairly sizeable
chapters on sonic differences between the Middle Ages and the contemporary
era, most of it revolving around the opposition between continuous sounds
(drones, traffic, etc...) and discrete, interrupted sounds. It's actually a
pretty interesting discussion on the history of sound and sound perception
(for those who are interested in such topics). You do need to get pas a
considerable amount of New Age rhetoric to get to the most interesting bits,
though

Petru