[Sca-cooks] The noise of modern life

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Wed Sep 7 06:50:56 PDT 2005

There have been a couple of times when the power has gone out at
night. The sudden silence usually wakes me up. You forget about
the hum of the ceiling fan. The refrigerator in the kitchen. Even
lightbulbs emit a faint humming noise that we all get used to.

So for me, it isn't the different sounds that are hard to get used
to, it is the lack of ambient noise.

I still vividly remember the smells from when I lived in
Indonesia. In the area of Aceh where I lived, there wasn't much
industry so you could smell the dirt and leaves. The smell of the
coconuts when they were freshly chopped down and cut open is
particularly vivid...along with the smell of the street sewers
when we went to town.

My thoughts,
Ysabeau

~snip~
>I imagine though that if you were suddenly thrown back into the
>Middle Ages, it might be the different sounds that you would
notice
>the most. Of course, I imagine the smells would be rather
different
>as well.
>
>Stefan
>--------
>THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of
Ansteorra
http://www.florilegium.org ****