[Sca-cooks] Re: Dutch Oven

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Sep 8 14:14:28 PDT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 8. September 2005 22:35 schrieb Amy Cox:
> "In "Eenen seer schoonen ende excellenten Cocboeck" 1593 the Dutch
> word 'oven' refers to a pan with vertical sides and a hollow lid,
> placed on a grate above the fire and with coals put into the lid."
>
> Wow! Okay, I knew they were actually dutch, but I thought they were a
> couple hundred years older. HOORAY! :)

What would those have been made out of? I know similar baking dishes from 16th
century Germany, but they were either beaten copper or ceramic, so the heat
would work out differently. OTOH you have cast brass and cast iron kettles
that would have worked a lot like modern 'Dutch ovens', but looked more like
potjies. Do we have any evidence for cast-metal, flat-bottomed dishes?

(Not that that stops me using my Dutch oven in camp. Not until I can get a
cast brass tripod kettle at the same price)

Giano