[Sca-cooks] Re: Dutch Oven

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Thu Sep 8 14:12:18 PDT 2005

>What would those have been made out of? I know similar baking dishes from 16th
>century Germany, but they were either beaten copper or ceramic, so the heat
>would work out differently. OTOH you have cast brass and cast iron kettles
>that would have worked a lot like modern 'Dutch ovens', but looked more like
>potjies. Do we have any evidence for cast-metal, flat-bottomed dishes?

Of course some of the best iron casting in Europe came out of Flemish, Dutch and German bloomeries.
Not sure if that means that there were cast iron dutch ovens.
And a lot of them went over to England when the Spanish catholic forces took over those regions.  One of the reasons that English guns were so superior to the spanish guns in the Armada was the quality of English gunfounders, most of them were expatriate dutch and flemish.

I STR that there were several cast iron tripod legged round bottomed cauldrons in the Mary Rose find. So cast cooking pots were definitely a technology used in very late period.
Again, until someone can show a picture or example of a cast iron dutch oven, we have to assume not.
but perhaps it is time to re-examine the works of all those splended Flemish painters who so often painted food related pictures (food often serving allegorical purposes in the pictures).

Capt Elias
Dragonship Haven, East
(Stratford, CT, USA)
Apprentice in the House of Silverwing

-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas
- Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
There are SO damn many more things I want to try in
the SCA than I can possibly have time for.
It's killing me!!!

Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
You stand upon the ravage and behold
A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
For so appears this fleet majestical,
Holding due course to Harfleur.
  - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue