[Sca-cooks] RE: Basque Food

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 8 18:10:36 PDT 2005

> Bear commented:
>> Paella is more likely Catlan than Basque as the word comes into  Spanish
>> from
>> Old French by way of Catalonian.  As for the modern recipe, no  earlier
>> than
>> the 8th Century, in my estimation.
>
> Based on what? What makes you think it is even prior to 1600 CE?
>
> Stefan

The modern recipe uses rice.  Rice arrives in Spain in the 8th or 9th
Centuries, so the dish can not be earlier then 8th Century.  I did not state
that the recipe was pre-17th Century, merely that it could not be prior to a
certain date.

Do I think paella predates 1600?  Yes.  The dish is fairly simple to make.
There is a similar dish without rice in Apicius and the nomenclature for
similar dishes in the Middle East suggests that they were prepared there
prior to the 17th Century.  I haven't had time to check various cookbooks or
references, but I will when I have time.

Bear