[Sca-cooks] paella

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 8 18:32:42 PDT 2005

You are making an unwarranted assumption that pasta was first prepared in
Italy, then spread elsewhere.  Pasta may have been independently discovered
in one or more places in Europe or it may have been introduced from China
during the Mongol Invasions of the 12th and 13th Centuries or possibly even
from the Arabs who had contact with the Chinese.  It may even have been, as
you suggest, an Italian invention.  We don't know.  It definitely predates
the late 13th Century in Italy (given Marco Polo's comments).

It appears in English cookbooks of the 14th Century, so I have little doubt
that it was in France and Spain by that time.

Bear
.