[Sca-cooks] Re: Frogs' legs query

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 02:32:39 PDT 2005

Thank you all. I'll definitely try them floured and fried.

Mordonna - I should have thought of Apicius. After all, anyone who gives sauce for flamingos... :-D

Adamantius - My favourite Chinese restaurant, Fung Shing in Lisle St, London, serves them stirfried in a sweet chilli sauce. Absolutely delicious - I've even converted a couple of initially horrified friends by making them taste that dish. I might give that a try also.
The Iraqi method sounds like it would be nice too. I can imagine them tasting great with garlic (darn, I see I'm going to have to go back and buy another box!).
I have to admit that I second your shudder over the frogs legs in soup. ;-D
Yes! In Le Menagier:
"FROGS. To take them, have a line and a hook and bait of meat or red cloth, and having taken the frogs, cut them across the body near the thighs and empty out what is near the back end, and take the two thighs of these same frogs, cut off the feet, and skin the thighs raw, then have cold water and wash them; and if the thighs stay overnight in cold water, they will be better and more tender. And after thus rinsing them, they should be washed in warm water, then take and dry in a cloth; the thighs, thus washed and dried, should be rolled in flour, that is floured, and then fried in oil, fat or other liquid, and put in a bowl and powdered spices on them."

Petru - I'll rootle out the recipe for green sauce and try it. How were they received at your feast?

ciao
Lucrezia

Baronessa Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia
Thamesreach Shire, Insula Draconis, Drachenwald
thorngrove at thorngrove.net |  www.thorngrove.net/athenaeum
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good versifiers"
- Aretino, 1536
This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk
Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.