[Sca-cooks] acorns can be deadly!

TheBard3 thebard3 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 09:43:57 PDT 2005

I wa going to let this one go but I can't.  The leaching process you put
acorns through is to remove tannin, not arsenic.  Almost all parts of an oak
contain tannin, which is the reason the bark of select oak trees was used to
tan leather.  And not all acorns need to be processed as much as others to
be made edible.  By my records there may even be some white oaks who's
acorns have such a low level as to be edible right off the tree.

Take It Easy,
James P.