[Sca-cooks] acorns can be deadly!

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Fri Sep 9 10:01:54 PDT 2005

>> A word of caution:
>> Acorns are full of Arsenic and the leaching process has to be done
>> completely and right. That is why I don't mess with them!
>>

>I wa going to let this one go but I can't.  The leaching process you put
>acorns through is to remove tannin, not arsenic.

According to "Arsenic: Medical and Biological Effects
of Environmental Pollutants" (1977), untreated acorns
have about a .1 PPM concetration of arsenic. This is
slightly more than walnuts (.07 PPM) and much lower than
hazelnuts (.7 PPM).
That's pretty close to ground water levels, so I think
that acorns arent particularly concetrating the substance
above thier environmental exposure.

I think the acorns and arsenic issue is a non-issue.

As an item of comparison, your basic apple can be .07 to
1.2 PPM depending on region (some regions such as cotton
growing areas, treat the soil with arsenic as a bug and
grub killer. I dont think arsenic is used any more as an
aerially applied fog to kill weevils and beetles).

Capt Elias
Dragonship Haven, East
(Stratford, CT, USA)
Apprentice in the House of Silverwing

-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas
- Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
There are SO damn many more things I want to try in
the SCA than I can possibly have time for.
It's killing me!!!

Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
You stand upon the ravage and behold
A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
For so appears this fleet majestical,
Holding due course to Harfleur.
  - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue