[Sca-cooks] book suggestion was paella

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Sep 9 10:44:54 PDT 2005

For an overview of these cuisines in the Middle Ages,
you might want to take a look at
Regional Cuisines of Medieval Europe: A Book of Essays
Edited by Melitta Weiss Adamson

Nine mouth-watering essays on the art of cookery in Europe from the end
of the Roman Empire to the early Renaissance. Beginning with the
culinary legacy of the Greek and Roman worlds (M Weiss Adamson), the
contributors explore the different regional cuisines in Britain (C B
Hieatt), France (T Scully and C Lambert), Italy (S Varey) and Sicily (H
Salloum); Spain (R Chabrán), Germany (M Weiss Adamson) and the Low
Countries (J M van Winter), discussing recipes, food preparation and
cooking, different flavours, herbs and spices staple foods and
delicacies. 254p (Routledge 2002)

ISBN 0415929946. Hardback. Price US $85.00
Yes, it's expensive. Amazon lists it now at $95 new.
You can interlibrary loan it and read it.

Johnnae, playing librarian