[Sca-cooks] crunchy jello and squid ink

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 11:32:16 PDT 2005

Betsy wrote:
>Central Market and/or Whole foods frequently has "Forbidden Rice" which
>cooks up a seriously dark purplish black. I even tried soaking some wool in
>the rice water( put in too much for the rice amount I used,) but it only
>came out bluish gray, not purple.

And that name is so much hogwash and is used to justify a grossly
inflated price by the producers. Patooey, i say, on skeezy
corporations.

Black rice comes in both long-medium grain and in short grain sticky.
It is commonly eaten (not forbidden) in much of Southeast Asia and
you can get one or the other or both forms in most large Asian
markets.

It cooks up a lovely purplish color - especially when the short
sticky black rice is use for a sweet snack in Indonesia - one i
enjoyed when i lived there - cooked with rich coconut milk, ginger,
palm sugar...
--
Mutiarawati, err...

Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)