[Sca-cooks] crunchy jello and squid ink

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 14:02:23 PDT 2005

At 11:11 PM 9/8/2005, Stefan wrote:
>Can anyone think of any other all black food, either period or
>modern? Is the rarity because of it's appearance or the difficulty of
>coloring a food black?

My first black meal i had at a restaurant in LA on La Cienega Blvd
that was called, i think, "Sun Fired Foods" (which no longer exists,
but the same name is used by some other businesses) where the food
was not cooked, although it could be "cooked by the sun". I wrote
down the ingredients and intended to make it again, but that was, oh,
about 20 years ago, and i can't quite recall what was in it... The
ingredients were molded into a loaf and sliced.

It had chopped black olives, wakame (a type of seaweed - mmm, i love
all sorts of seaweeds, cooked soft, or toasted and crunchy), black
sesame seed paste, mmm, some other blackish foods i can't recall. It
might have had those big flat dried mushrooms, too; maybe it had some
nuts; maybe some miso...

Definitely better than my "black" sandwiches i ate one summer when i
was on vacation from work, attending the SF Early Music Society
Medieval Music program, and really broke... It was what was in the
house... "Russian rye" that really dark brown bread, black sesame
seed paste, and bottled minced meat... i took it with me for lunch
every day for a week... Yeah, yeah, not quite black - just very very
dark dark brown - well, except the sesame paste.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita