[Sca-cooks] paella

Micheal dmreid at hfx.eastlink.ca
Sat Sep 10 07:59:26 PDT 2005

 Greetings
 I would tend to agree with the doubts expressed as to its actually being a
metal Shield.  But then in a war zone you use what you can find shield boss,
metal buckler, hot oil barrel top, number 10 can, whatever works. So it has
just slim enough believability factor to be possibility, even if improvable.
Nor would I attempt to use such as documentation outside of background
stories around the dish, unless it could be proven from another source.
 However  the shield , was  not what was important to me, it was a simple
couple of lines in a book that stuck in my mind.
  So I went looking for a meal that would have fit the bill. Points of
reference I used was Valencia, Jamie 1st of Spain,  Muslim , cooked by
Peasants, possible gypsies, or foot soldiers. Up popped Paella, that got my
interest more involved after I read a few recipes and history of it. Thats
where I started from sorry if it was an unorthodox method of finding a dish.
But it fit the parameters and the rest has been played out here on this
list.
 Sort of researching the knowledgeable first to find out if it was worth
looking into in depth.
 Cealian