[Sca-cooks] Need Spanish suggestions

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 12 11:27:03 PDT 2005

Cat . wrote:

>Greetings the list,
>
>Gwen Cat again (sorry, these days it seems I only get
>to pop in here when I NEED something.)
>
>Im looking for information on period (any pre 1600s)
>Spanish.  I have skimmed through Brighids wonderful
>translation of De Nola in the Florilegium, and found a
>few possibilities, but am more familiar with German
>than Spanish, so Im looking for suggestions of
>FAVORITE or tried and true recipes for a lunch in a
>few weeks.  The site has electricity, but NO
>kitchen/running water, so everything will have to
>happen in roasters/crock pots, room temp or chilled.
>At this point I am told to expect ~100.  The budget is
>generous (for me ;-) but wont support much
>fish/seafood as this is Colorado we are talking about.
>
>I have been enjoying the Paella discussion here,
>thanks!
>
>In Service and Curiosity
>Gwen Cat

I don't have any Spanish recipes, per se., but you can find the Manual
de Mugeres, which is a 16th century manuscript, translated by Mistress
Karen Larsdatter.  http://www.geocities.com/karen_larsdatter/manual.htm
is the URL for this translation.

I've done a couple of recipes out of the book, but they appeared to be
more Arabic in origin.  I did the Alaju (a yummy cake-like sweet,
referred to as a "conserve" in the recipe), and they were a great
success.  I also did another Almond Sweetmeat from the book...again very
successfully.

Hope this helps...

Kiri