[Sca-cooks] Need Spanish suggestions

Robin rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 12 15:26:26 PDT 2005

The recipe below is one that mistress jadwiga and i both served at
separate.feasts, and it was well-received at each.  forgive the lack of
capitals -- my keyboard has had too much coffee.

if you have any questions, let me know.

Torta de Zanahoria (Carrot Pie)

    Wash and scrape the carrots, and remove them from the water and cook
them in good meat broth, and being cooked remove them and chop them
small with the knife, adding to them mint and marjoram, and for each two
pounds of chopped carrots [use] a pound of Tronchon cheese and a pound
and a half of buttery Pinto cheese, and six ounces of fresh cheese, and
one ounce of ground pepper, one ounce of cinnamon, two ounces of candied
orange peel cut small, one pound of sugar, eight eggs, three ounces of
cow's butter, and from this composition make a torta with pastry above
and below, and the tart pan with pastry all around, and make it cook in
the oven, making the crust of sugar, cinnamon, and rosewater. In this
manner you can make tortas of all sorts of roots, such as that of
parsley, having taken the core out of them.

Diego Granado, Libro del Arte de Cozina, 1599

Redaction:
1/2 lb. carrots, cooked and drained
1/2 oz. candied orange peel
4 oz. mozzarella, shredded
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram
6 oz. monterey jack, shredded
1/2 tsp dried mint
1-1/2 oz. ricotta cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1-1/2 TBS butter
pastry for 2-crust pie (preferably made with butter)
1/2 TBS cinnamon
cinnamon sugar
1/2 c. sugar
rosewater

Preheat oven to 375 F.  Combine all of the filling ingredients and mix
thoroughly.  Place in the bottom crust.  Put on the top crust, and seal
the edges well.  Brush the top crust with rosewater, and sprinkle with
cinnamon sugar.  Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the crust is brown, and
the filling is set.

Notes:
This appears to be one of the recipes that Granado "borrowed" from
Scappi.  It appears in a chapter entitled, "Divers Manners of Tortas, or
Tortadas, Which in Italy are Called Costradas, and in Naples, Copos".  I
made some substitutions in the cheeses.  I have been unable to identify
Pinto cheese, so I substituted mozzarella, which is a period cheese
(Granado refers to it in other recipes).  Tronchon is a Spanish variety
which is still produced today, but it is rare and hard to obtain.  Its
flavor is supposed to be mild, and I thought Monterey Jack, though a
modern cheese, might work in this recipe.  Fresh cheese is a soft,
newly-made cheese, and Ricotta has a similar taste and texture, even
though it is a whey cheese.

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom