[Sca-cooks] sour cabbage - german recipe

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 17:44:42 PDT 2005

The earliest mention of Sauerkraut is from 1607 in the book "Le Tresor di Santi" written in
1607, which describes it as being German.  There are pickled cabbage recipes that go back to
Roman times, but they aren't quite sauerkaut.

So I would say that Sauerkraut is probably late period, but we just haven't found the recipes
yet.

Huette