[Sca-cooks] sour cabbage - German recipe

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Wed Sep 14 01:10:25 PDT 2005

I was told once and never got docs on it. That an English captain in the
late 1500s, mentions an observation that the Germanic nations' sailors did
not seem to suffer like English sailors of scurvy. This was attributed to
the consumption of pickled cabbage.
In order to get his crew to eat the pickled cabbage, he had a barrel brought
on board and had it labeled for officers only.

This may help in a direction if all else comes to a dead end.