[Sca-cooks] sour cabbage - German recipe

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 14:17:13 PDT 2005

And Krautsalat (coleslaw) has been mentioned in period.  In his German travel diaries
from 1580, Michel de Montaigne kept a list of "dishes unfamiliar to me," in which he
included, without further comment, the "cabbage salads" that were set before him in
the Swabian town of Lindau on Lake Constance.  No recipes alas, but if you make your
coleslaw without mayo, then you will be at least serving something potentially pre-1600.

Huette