[Sca-cooks] sour cabbage - german recipe

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Tue Sep 13 14:34:44 PDT 2005

Sandra Jakl wrote:

>Greetings all!
>
>I am looking for a period German recipe for sourcraut.
>I've found a couple of recipes that reference
>saurkraut (saures Kraut) in Ein New Kochbuch and the
>Preserved Cabbage (Eynngemacht Crautt), from Ein
>Kochbuch aus dem Archiv des Deutschen Ordens, but not
>actually anything that describes the appropriate
>method to make specifically "sour cabbage".

And the remark I meant to make earlier--  I haven't found a strictly
period recipe, either, and I don't expect that I will.  There are lots
of period references to sauerkraut, and some to the general method of
production (which is roughly: cabbage is shredded and put in barrels
with salt), but as far as I can tell, this is something made on farms,
not in professional kitchens. A period professional cook would have
bought it by the barrel, rather than made it himself.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?