[Sca-cooks] Need Spanish suggestions

Robin rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 13 20:04:05 PDT 2005

Cat . wrote:

>Brighid, Thank you for that wonderful translation, and
>for the carrot pie.  No worries about the lack of
>capitals.  So is it more of a ‘sweet’ or more like a
>quiche? Or a veggie?

Well... it's sort of a sweet vegetable-cheese quiche. I wouldn't call it
dessert.

>Final question, I would like to include a sweet or
>dessert like thing… Did they do fresh fruit as well as
>the marzipans, conserves, and sweetmeats?

Yes. The "Arte de Cortar" (1423 carving manual) has instructions for
carving the following raw fruits:
peaches, pears, apples, figs, and melons.

Sweet oranges were eaten in Spain in the 16th c.

Fruits mentioned in a 16th c. health manual: grapes, cherries, apricots.

Nuts and dried fruits are also possibilities.

>Thanks again for indulging and enlightening me.
>
>In Service
>Gwen Cat

You're very welcome. Your translation of Rumpolt was very helpful to me
when I needed to put together a French and German feast. (I don't do
non-Romance languages.)

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom