[Sca-cooks] Need Spanish suggestions

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 10:15:35 PDT 2005

> Most gracious Serena,
> Those recipes sound great and functional.  Would you
> serve the meat stew on the chickpeas? Or on rice?

The meat would not work over the chick peas, but I think would be
delicious over rice. When I served it, I served it on it's own with a
starch side that was a Pottage of Noodles (also Spanish but I am not
so certain do-able in your circumstances). But should you care to look
at it you can find it here: http://tinyurl.com/exba3

> However, salmon does come on sale here fairly
> regularly, so would you be willing to share that
> recipe also?

I have found Salmon at Sam's Warehouse club for as low as $3.99 / lb.
which is the only reason I was ever able to serve it. I am uncertain
how you would manage it in the cooking environment that you described,
but I will always share recipes. :)

Casserole of Salmon
>From Libro de Guisados by Rupert de Nola. Translated by Lady Brighid
ni Chiarain.

182. CAZUELA DE SALMON You must take the clean and well-washed salmon,
and put it in a casserole with your spices which are galingale, and a
little pepper, and ginger, and saffron, and all of this well-ground,
and cast upon the fish with salt, and a little verjuice or orange
juice. And let it go to the fire of coals, and then take blanched
almonds, and raisins, and pine nuts, and all herbs. That is, moraduj,
which is called marjoram, and parsley, and mint. And when the
casserole is nearly half-cooked, cast all this inside.

1/2 t Galingale
1/4 t Pepper
1/2 t Ginger
12 - 15 Threads Saffron
1/2 t Salt
3/4 C Bitter Orange Juice
1 T Fresh Mint
2 T Fresh Marjoram
2 T Fresh Parsley
1/4 C Pine Nuts
1/4 C Ground Almond
1/2 C Chopped Raisins
1 side Salmon
Combine first 5 spices. Put salmon in an oven safe pan that has a lid.
Pour orange juice over Salmon and then sprinkle spice mixture over
fish and pat in gently. Cook covered at 300 degrees F for 13 minutes.
Wash and chop mint, marjoram and parsley to a medium size and mix well
with almonds, pine nuts and raisins. After 13 minutes remove fish from
oven and spread herb/nut mixture evenly over the fish. Return to the
oven for an additional 7 to 10 minutes or until done.

I hope all works out well!

Glad Tidings,
Serena