[Sca-cooks] Is Sourdough Halal

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Sep 14 23:24:27 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Have a friend at work asking me to make bread.
> I wanted to make some sourdough breads for him.
> He is Muslim, and with the no alcohol, does the alcohol of well developed
> sourdough cause a problem?

Your best bet is to ask him. Muslims have sects just like any other
religion, and their interpretations of the basic laws vary. Some obey the
thing about "fermented grapes", but will drink anything else- some choose
not to observe that prohibition at all, and some will not even drink coffee
because of its intoxicating influence.

And, any non-flat bread develops alcohol, albeit in minute amounts. Only
your friend will know what prohibitions he observes. Probably you're OK, but
it's always best to ask.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.