[Sca-cooks] charcut?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 15 07:47:55 PDT 2005

Adele de Maisieres wrote:
>Stefan li Rous wrote:
>  >> Eibhlin, who is a cheesemonger and corp. buyer of
>  >> cheese and charcut. in real life.  ;)
>  >
>  > What is "charcut"? A type of processed meat or sausage?
>
>I believe that's short for "charcuterie"-- ie smallgoods, processed
>meats in general.

Eibhlin has abbreviated the word - notice the period after it in
mid-sentence. In France a charcuterie sells a wide range of processed
pork - seasoned, smoked or aged meats and sausages.

A local charcuterie (now no longer in business, alas) had a gilded
pig in the window.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita