[Sca-cooks] sauerkraut

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 17 04:44:28 PDT 2005

Susan Fox wrote:

>*sheesh*  The smallest on that page was $99 for a 5 liter crock.  The Korean
>market near my old house has comparable crocks for kim chee for under $20.
>
>The lesson:  shop the ethnic markets with the people who really make this
>stuff at home, rather than the upscale catalogs with upscale prices for
>yuppie dilettantes.  I don't want to get fooled again!
>
>Bluntly but honestly, as ever,
>Selene Colfox
>selene at earthlink.net

Yeah, my mom used to make sauerkraut and my memory says that she used a
straight-sided pickle crock and weighted the cabbage down with a
plate...and she may have put a stone on top of that.  Air was able to
get to it because the plate was a little smaller in circumference than
the crock.  After it had done its fermentation thing, she then canned
the kraut.  Good stuff!!!

Kiri