[Sca-cooks] sauerkraut

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sat Sep 17 00:19:02 PDT 2005

Am Samstag, 17. September 2005 07:10 schrieb Susan Fox:
> *sheesh*  The smallest on that page was $99 for a 5 liter crock.  The
> Korean market near my old house has comparable crocks for kim chee for
> under $20.
>
> The lesson:  shop the ethnic markets with the people who really make this
> stuff at home, rather than the upscale catalogs with upscale prices for
> yuppie dilettantes.  I don't want to get fooled again!

True. What is even better is that you can make sauerkraut in almost any
container that is waterproof. I haven't done it yet (I live in a small
apartment and my neighbours already complain enough about the egg tempera
paints and resin varnishes), but friends and relatives of mine have done it
in crockpots, enameled cookpots, buckets, glass jars, and in one documented
case in a disused garbage bin (which I would not recommend, notwithstanding
the kraut being the best of the lot). I think wooden casks are traditionally
recommended.

I've got to make some this autumn

Giano