[Sca-cooks] Period Pickled/fermented vegetables

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 17 06:54:21 PDT 2005

I'd say that most period pickling involves fermentation.  I know the compost recipe from Curye  allows vegetable fermentation.  Almost any vegetal matter with enough sugar will ferment spontaneously given time, water, and the right temperature range.  Yeast is a very successful species.  It's not so much getting food to ferment that's the problem  It's keeping other invasive molds out, and getting the fermentation to stop before the yeast eats all the food.
Given that there was a shortage of refrigerators in our period of interest, I think it was kinda inventive of our ancestors to come up with a way of preserving that didn't require them.

What is your definition of "pickling"?

Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
We've been specifically talking about fermented cabbage (sauerkraut).
Are there any period references to other fermented vegetables such as
they mention on this website? Perhaps some of what have been
discussed as period pickled vegetables references are actually
fermented ones?

Stefan

Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook