[Sca-cooks] Period Pickled/fermented vegetables

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Sep 17 07:44:14 PDT 2005

On Sep 17, 2005, at 9:54 AM, Pat wrote:

> I'd say that most period pickling involves fermentation.  I know
> the compost recipe from Curye  allows vegetable fermentation.

I'm not too sure about that, although there's no instruction to store
it in an airtight container, so I suppose it's possible. It's true
the vegetables in compost are, for the most part, cooked and then
salted, but they're also supposed to be draining off some of their
moisture (which is true of sauerkraut, dill pickles, and kim chee,
also, but all of those involve salting the ingredients in a container
so a brine will form). They're drained on a cloth and then stored in
a wine-vinegar-mustard-honey marinade. To me, this is a lot more like
sweet bread-and-butter pickles than like Kosher dills. In other
words, you're preserving in an acid you've added yourself, rather
than creating an environment where lactobacilli are encouraged to
make that acid for you, which is more the case with sauerkraut.

>   Almost any vegetal matter with enough sugar will ferment
> spontaneously given time, water, and the right temperature range.
> Yeast is a very successful species.  It's not so much getting food
> to ferment that's the problem  It's keeping other invasive molds
> out, and getting the fermentation to stop before the yeast eats all
> the food.
> Given that there was a shortage of refrigerators in our period of
> interest, I think it was kinda inventive of our ancestors to come
> up with a way of preserving that didn't require them.

I am a little surprised that there doesn't seem to be more
documentable evidence for the existence of fermented pickles in
places like England and France in our period. Maybe wine vinegar in
comparative abundance rendered such processes unnecessary, or perhaps
there's a relationship between a relatively inexpensive local salt
supply (as in, IIRC, Poland?) and the prominence of sour-brine
pickling in some places?

> What is your definition of "pickling"?

Well, I'm not Stefan, but since I've shoved my oar in this far, I'd
say pickling is preserving in an acid liquid, be it a soured brine,
sour whey, vinegar, alegar, lemon juice, etc. What these all have in
common is their pH.

Adamantius