[Sca-cooks] Period Pickled/fermented vegetables

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 17 11:38:35 PDT 2005

> -----Original Message-----

> > What is your definition of "pickling"?
>
>-----Original RESPONSE-----
 Well, I'm not Stefan, but since I've shoved my oar in this far, I'd
> say pickling is preserving in an acid liquid, be it a soured brine,
> sour whey, vinegar, alegar, lemon juice, etc. What these all have in
> common is their pH.
>
> Adamantius

Yeah, there is a real consideration of starting pH levels and what beasties
can live and function in that environment.  Saccromyces Cerviciae
(bread/beer yeast) are not so healthy in pH that wanders too acidic, like a
vinegar brine.  However, other microorganisms would be much more at home . .
. like botulin bacteria and maybe a couple more of the more pathogenic type
critters.  It's a wild world out there when inviting microorganisms to the
party . . . gotta keep close track of the guest list.

niccolo difrancesco
former and future yeast wrangler