[Sca-cooks] Indian food questions

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Sep 22 11:40:04 PDT 2005

On Sep 22, 2005, at 2:20 PM, Christiane wrote:

> I've been exploring the Indian grocery store in my area. Besides
> picking up some prepackaged heat-up meals for work (mostly Ashoka
> brand Kashmir dum aloo, Bombay Biryani, and palak paneer), I scoped
> the huge bags of dried chickpeas and lentils and the spice
> mixtures. Here's my problem, a lot of the spice mixtures had the
> Indian names for them.

According to the Von Welanetz Guide To Ethnic Ingredients (see also
Bruce Cost's book on Asian ingredients):

> So what is anise in Indian,

sonf

> and curry

kari

> and fenugreek?

methi

> What is in garam masala anyway?

A standard mix might include cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper,
coriander seed, cumin, cloves, and nutmeg. Recipes vary, though...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04