[Sca-cooks] in the thick of it...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 22 21:42:39 PDT 2005

Aoghann mentioned:
> A leechbook of the period. I am not an expert on these matters (yet),
> but sage is also listed as available during that period by Mary
> Savelli
> "Tastes of Anglo-Saxon England", Colin Spencer "British Food" and I
> think in Maggie Black's work (but that is back in the library now).

I would be very cautious about using Mary Savelli's "Tastes of Anglo-
Saxon England" for any kind of documentation. I, unfortunately,
bought this book. Rather thin for the price and I was even more upset
when I began reading it carefully. I don't remember my exact concerns
or the fallacies I found, but I'm hardly an expert so the problems
are not going to be tiny things.

If you do a search with the search engine in the Florilegium, you
will find messages reviewing this book.

This is what Mistress Jaelle has to say about this book in the
following bibliography:
cookbooks-bib     (44K)  2/15/04    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle
of Armida.

Savelli, Mary. TASTE OF ANGLO-SAXON ENGLAND. Anglo-Saxon Books.
Norfolk, England. 2002.  There are no extant Anglo-Saxon cookbooks,
so all the recipes in here are made up by the author, based on what
is known of Anglo-Saxon food. NOT RECOMMENDED
<<<<

You don't mention these books, but for info on whether a particular
plant or food item was eaten in Anglo-Saxon England, I would
recommend these books by Ann Hagen:

Hagen, Ann. A HANDBOOK OF ANGLO-SAXON FOOD. Processing and
Consumption.  Anglo-Saxon Books, Nisslwawx, England. 1992.  This is
not a cookbook per say, but a book about Anglo-Saxon food and
foodways.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Hagen, Ann. A SECOND HANDBOOK OF ANGLO-SAXON FOOD & DRINK: PRODUCTION
& DISTRIBUTION. Anglo-Saxon Books. 1995.  An excellent book about the
foods available in that time period, and information on how they were
eaten. Not a cookbook, but good information about the food and
foodways.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
<<<

Stefan
--------