[Sca-cooks] in the thick of it...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Sep 24 00:35:07 PDT 2005

niccolo difrancesco commented:
> Bread is a forgiving master to thicken with, really, just watch it
> and learn
> how much to use, based on moisture in your crumbs, type of grain
> and quality
> (density) of your original crumb.

It can be overdone. I remember one disaster where I had to put in
enough to thicken it that the dish ended up tasting doughy.

Yes, I've seen a big difference between the amount of crumbs required
between the store-bought, rather finely ground, very dry, crumbs,
fresh bread, bread dried in the oven and older bread.

I believe this Florilegium file in the FOOD section, also has some
commentary on thickening with bread crumbs as well as other period
thickeners:
thickening-msg    (21K)  1/ 5/01    Use of period food thickening
agents.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas