[Sca-cooks] easy bread recipe?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 24 06:35:38 PDT 2005

> Bear commented:
>> I calculate a one pound loaf as a single serving for 4 people and the
>> batches I prepare as 8 loaves.  From experience, I can say it takes
>> about 5
>> hours for me to knock out 48 loaves in a commercial kitchen.  8  hours at
>> home.
>
> That's not as big a difference in time between using a commercial  kitchen
> and a home kitchen as I thought it would be.
>
> Is this doing it just by yourself in each case? Do you have a  commercial
> oven or mixer at home?
>
> Stefan

I usually work by hand at home and bake in a standard home oven (about a 30
inch cube) which will bake 8 boules at a time.  Since the majority of the
time expended is in the rise, I control the time by staggering batches of 8
loaves and accelerating the rise.  I also have the bowls, pans and baking
sheets to handle six oven loads before I need to wash the dishes.  If I use
slower leavening techniques, more complicated shapings or larger loaves, the
time increases.  Primarily, my success is due to practice.

In a commercial kitchen, the time is shaved by faster initial prep and being
able to bake about 32 loaves per oven load.

In each case, this is just me in the kitchen.  I can save a little more time
with some assistance, but I haven't been able to ditch the 3 hours minimum
rising.

Bear