[Sca-cooks] [OT][OOP] Pennsic Customs Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Sep 24 23:29:36 PDT 2005

Giano asked:
> I've just had a most fascinating conversation. It was suggested I
> might be
> able to partly fund a Pennsic visit by selling my period cosmetics and
> aphrodisiacs. "Giano's Medieval Makeover"

Oh? I'd love to have more material on these subjects for the
Florilegium if you'd be willing to send me some messages I could use.
Or even better, an article or two. And I have no problem with you
putting in a notice that you are selling these items for those who
don't want to make their own and giving the contact info to where
they could buy these. Of course, if you wish to keep your recipes or
info as a trade secret, then nothing is going to prevent that.

Just in case you haven't thought to look in the Florilegium, here are
some of the files in the PERSONAL CARE section which might be of use
in doing more research on these topics:
aphrodisiacs-msg  (24K)  2/12/04    Medieval aphrodisiacs.
cosmetics-lnks    (10K)  8/21/05    Links to info on medieval
cosmetics and
                                        perfumes by Dame Aoife Finn
of Ynos Mon.
cosmetics-msg     (16K) 12/29/02    Period cosmetics.
Handcream-art     (16K)  6/ 5/00    "Handcream" by Constance de LaRose.
handcream-msg      (9K)  2/10/97    Medieval lotions and handcreams.
recipes.
Man-d-Mujeres-art (12K)  4/19/01    Selected redactions from the
"Manual de
                                        Mujeres" by Lady Serian.
Perfumes-bib      (20K) 12/26/00    "Perfumes Bibliography" by Nora
Siri Bock.
perfumes-msg      (36K)  9/19/02    Medieval perfumes and pomanders.

> Now, this is still all very theoretical, but even if it works I'd be
> Limited to flight luggage, and a chunk of that would be scents,
> cream bases,
> Powders and such.

Ship your merchant items to Pennsic rather than carry them with you.
I think this option has always been there for merchants. What was
added four or five years ago, was the ability of non-merchants to
ship things to Pennsic. Because I have been flying in to Pennsic 27,
except for this last one where my work situation wouldn't allow it, I
can probably give you some ideas because of what I've learned and
been doing. Because the luggage allowance is rather small, at least
for two weeks of camping, I have depended upon shipping in another
large footlocker of stuff. International flying might be even more
restricted. I've never had the chance to do that, so I don't know. I
do know that the extra luggage charges can be rather high. And the
footlocker I use would get hit with both extra baggage and oversize
charges. There is a semi-trailer in the merchant area where you pick
up your boxes. I think for merchants there may be no charge for this.
For non-merchants there is a nominal extra charge.

At the end of Pennsic I use the regular U.S. Post Office to ship
things home. There is a small postal cart set up at Pennsic each
year, so you don't have to get into town to mail things. However, it
has rather limited hours 10 AM to 2 PM and it is only open Monday
through Friday, so if you are leaving on that last Saturday you have
to keep this in mind.

My luggage consists of a footlocker which just fits under the maximum
baggage size, and an ice chest plus a carry-on bag and my cloak. The
cloak I carry over my shoulder since the airlines allow you to bring
a "coat". The footlocker has wheels on it. I strap the ice chest on
top of the footlocker, sling my carry-on bag over one shoulder and
the cloak over the other. I can handle everything this way myself and
not depend upon bell-hops. When I get to Pennsic, the stuff in the
ice chest goes elsewhere and I have a place to keep foods and drinks.
You can get ice on site. I have seen ice chests with wheels now, so
you could also invert the two boxes from what I've been doing. Again,
your international luggage limits may differ and you may have to
modify this, but hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Oh yes. I do lock all my checked luggage. The footlocker has a built
in lock bracket through which I can put a padlock and I put a chain
around the ice chest, from end to end, through the handles and lock
it closed. I also tape both of these boxes closed with duct tape. I
have had to change this in the last few years to using the new
security locks which the airport security folks can open, but
supposedly the baggage handlers can't. I've also had to figure out
how to seal both boxes with duct tape and yet get the duct tape home
in something other than my carry-on bag. I suspect that duct tape,
like fingernail clippers are no longer allowed on in carry-on baggage.

> I don't assume Pennsic has 'crash space', so how is this
> Handled for overseas visitors?

I think there is usually a Drachenvald encampment. As a merchant I
think you can also camp in your merchant space, but I don't remember
for sure.

One problem with merchanting is that as many merchant spots as
Pennsic provides, they get snapped up pretty quickly. They may
already be gone for next Pennsic, but you'd have to inquire with the
person in charge of merchants to know for sure. I think it is one of
the Coopers.

If you are new to SCA merchanting, this file in the COMMERCE section
of the Florilegium might be of use:
merchanting-msg   (60K)  9/ 4/04    Merchanting in the SCA.

> Are there 'hotel' tents? Do you stay with allied households?

As someone else mentioned, you can rent a Grimm's Tent, but they are
rather large and expensive for one person. I think you also have to
be onsite when they deliver it, and that might be difficult if you
can't spend the entire two weeks there. There is this file in the
STRUCTURES section of the Florilegium:
tent-rental-msg    (5K)  7/ 3/00    Rental of tents at Pennsic and
Estrella.

You also need a way to get from the Pittsburg airport to Pennsic. It
is about an hour's drive. You can rent a car, but that gets rather
expensive when it is going to be spending most of its time just
parked at Pennsic. The best way is to have someone drive to the
airport to pick you up and reverse the process at the end of Pennsic.
For the past four or five years, Phlip, one of our household members
of SPCA or another friend not in the household have been taking me to
and from the airport. I hate to take this time out of someone's
Pennsic, so I am very grateful for my friends who have helped me out.
I bought a cell phone initially with Pennsic very much in mind. It is
rather difficult otherwise for either you or your friends to tell the
others that problems are occurring. One year while Phlip and someone
else were waiting for me to arrive, they came across the Prince of
Lochac and entourage who had been stranded at the airport for a day
or so. They had had "the trip from hell" with tussles with the
immigration folks and other problems. Phlip had loaded their stuff
into the van when their regular ride showed up. It can be very
anxious waiting for your ride to show up and not know where they are.
So a cell phone is nice.

I'm not going to commit someone else, but I imagine transportation to
Pennsic and into town for supplies can probably be arranged with
Phlip or others.  I'm sure also that you'd be welcome to stay in the
SPCA encampment if you pre-registered so there was space for you.
Each encampment is only supposed to allocated 225 sq. ft. for each
pre-registered person. Out of this has to come common areas such as
kitchens, dining flys, camp showers etc. Sometimes it can get a bit
tight, so that is why many encampments are going request (or require)
you to pre-pay. From my own experience though, it often looks like
having certain Dukes and such in your encampment can get you more
than the standard allotment of land.

SPCA my Pennsic household, actually member of it, Margali and Rob,
have kept a small tent in storage for me as well as a cot and
sleeping bag. While I have transported all those to Pennsic before,
it is very nice not to have to ship them.

Before I had the loan of the cot from Margali, I took a large, coarse
linen looking sheet, folded it over and sewed it closed on one long
side. I then bought a bail of straw at Pennsic for $5, broke it apart
and stuffed this sack with it. This was much smaller to transport
than an air mattress and wouldn't suffer from a disturbing "hisssss"
in the middle of Pennsic. The $5 is slightly high, but it also
includes the clean up of the straw at the end of Pennsic.

If you expect to bring a propane stove, remember that you can't ship
the propane canisters by air. But you can buy them here, assuming
European and American canisters and valves are compatible.

Plan for all types of weather. Check the various files in the PENNSIC
section of the Florilegium for more info and how-to stuff about
Pennsic, as well.

I hope this is useful to you. Someday, I'll probably get around to
writing an article or creating a message file on how to manage flying
into large SCA events such as Pennsic, but it hasn't happened yet.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com