[Sca-cooks] easy bread recipe?

Radei Drchevich radei at moscowmail.com
Sun Sep 25 12:05:42 PDT 2005

French Bread

6T yeast

3 Qts + 1/2 C Water

11 lbs + 4 Oz Flour

3/4 c sugar

1/4 c salt

2/3 c shortening

1/4 c egg whites

2 T water

1:Add yeast to lukewarm water in mixing bowl, stir after 10 minutes.

2:Sift dry ingredients saving 1 qt flour. add dry imgredients with
shortening to yeast mixture.

3:mix 20 minutes at low speed untill dough is smooth  and elastic and
leaves side of bowl.  If after 2 minutes of mixing the dough is still
sticky add enough saved-out flour to form a soft dough.

4:form dough into a smooth ball. place in a greased bowl and turn dough
to grease top.

5:cover and let rise in a warm place <85 degrees> until increased 2-3
times in volume.

6:punch down. Cut into 10 portions <1# 13 oz.>. Cover and let rest on
table top for about 10 minutes.

7: roll each piece of dough into a 12X15 rectangle. Rool up tightly as
for a jellyrool. Seal well> Place on greased sheet pans.

8:let rise in a warm place until 2-2 1/2 times in volume.

9:mix egg whites with water.

10:using scissors, cut a slit in each loaf every 2 1/2 inches. Brush each
loaf with egg white.

11Bake at 400 F for 25 minutes.

Approx 100 servings<more like 50 given what I see as standards for SCA
feasts>.

hope this helps

joy

radei