[Sca-cooks] A Baghdad Cookery Book in 2006

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Sep 26 20:02:43 PDT 2005

Turns out that those of us who subscribe to PPC will be receiving this
as a special issue of the journal.

Tom Jaine wrote:

In early September we will be publishing a new translation by Charles
Perry of Al Baghdadi's 'Kitab al-Tabikh', under the title of A Baghdad
Cookery Book. The format will be the same as Petits Propos Culinaires
(PPC), the price will be GBP10.00, the ISBN 1-903018-420. This will in
fact be a special issue of PPC, i.e. PPC no.79, but will also be
commercially available as a stand-alone book. PPC subscribers are of
course getting it at a bargain price. Charles Perry has been to Istanbul
to inspect the manuscripts of Al Baghdadi's masterwork (hitherto
available in Arberry's translation which we reprinted in Medieval Arab
Cookery of 2001) and he has come up with a more accurate, and more
nuanced, version. This will be a big day for Arabic food history.

The rest can buy it next  year I guess.

Johnnae