[Sca-cooks] easy bread recipe?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 26 21:01:05 PDT 2005

> 1 tbsp barley malt syrup (you can get this in healthfood/organic/hippy
> shops, or be nice to someone who brews)

You might also try 1 to 2 teaspoons of diamalt.  It works the same, isn't
sticky and doesn't leave you with leftover malt extract.

> Combine the yeast, 1/4c water, and malt syrup and let stand 5-10 minutes.
> (makes kind of an ersatz ale barm)

Nothing ersatz about it.  If you dissolve the can of malt in 5 gallons
(IIRC) of water and add the yeast in a few days you get ale.

> Note about yeast and larger quantities:  This recipe scales up well, but
> when I triple this recipe, I at most double the yeast.
>
> --
> Adele de Maisieres

A rough rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon dry active yeast per pound of flour.
It's rough because the potency of the yeast is a difficult variable to
calculate.

Bear