[Sca-cooks] easy bread recipe?

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Tue Sep 27 15:58:34 PDT 2005

Terry Decker wrote:
\
>> 1 tbsp barley malt syrup (you can get this in healthfood/organic/hippy
>> shops, or be nice to someone who brews)
>
> You might also try 1 to 2 teaspoons of diamalt.  It works the same,
> isn't sticky and doesn't leave you with leftover malt extract.

I'm not familiar with that product-- I suspect it's not available in
NZ.  I _can_ buy malt extract in small jars, though, so having leftovers
isn't really an issue.

>> Combine the yeast, 1/4c water, and malt syrup and let stand 5-10
>> minutes. (makes kind of an ersatz ale barm)
>
> Nothing ersatz about it.  If you dissolve the can of malt in 5 gallons
> (IIRC) of water and add the yeast in a few days you get ale.

Yes, but fermenting it for 10 minutes doesn't consume the sugars the way
that fermenting it for a few days does.   I've just taken up doing it
this day because I haven't done any brewing in quite a while.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?