[Sca-cooks] Selene's Files

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 29 07:30:01 PDT 2005

Simon Hondy wrote:

>PASTIES PASTIES PASTIES
>Don't forget the Pasties... ohhh so good pasties...  mm  and I can get brown
>sauce for them  mmmm  pasties.
>
>Thank you so much for ruining the pasties I WAS getting from up north near
>da U.P.!
>The recipe made such good nummy pasties
>
>I like pasties....
>

>Simon Hondy
>"Cum Omni humilitate
>faciant ipsas artes"
>  -St. Benedict

 From my web page on the "Secret Life Of..." experience:
 http://home.earthlink.net/~selene/kitchen/id6.html

"This is not low calorie. This is not low fat. This is not low carb.
This is LOW TECH!"

RECIPE FOR CORNISH PASTIES

CRUST:

4 cups plain flour
1/2 pound chopped suet [about 2-1/2 cups] [Why suet? If you have cheap
cuts of beef, you probably already have beef fat too. Moderns use butter
or veg shortening.]
1 Tablespoon salt
water to mix [also varies; can be up to 1 cup]
Mix chopped suet with flour and salt. Mix with hands or electric mixer
set to lowest setting. Add water, a little at a time, until a pliable
dough forms. Go ahead, handle it A LOT. This is not supposed to be light
flaky confection, this is not only part of the "baking pan" for the meat
and potatoes, it's also the "lunchbox." Tensile strength is a plus.

Divide into 6 evenly sized dough-balls and refrigerate for at least one
hour or overnight. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap; there is more water
than usual in this dough and the refrigerator will dry it out into
un-rollable rocks.

FILLING:

2 pounds beef. A nice cheap chuck pot roast is ideal.
2 medium potatoes
2 small turnips
1 onion
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper.

Cut the beef, potatoes, turnips and onion into small bite-sized bits,
under 1 inch dice. Mix it all up with the salt and pepper.

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:

Roll out the dough balls into rounds about 8 inches in diameter. Wet
down the edges of each circle with water, about 1-2 inches from the
edge. Place a goodly handfull of filling into the circle of dough, fold
over and seal the edges. Fold once, wetting it down some more if you
have to in order to get a good seal. Crimp decoratively with your
fingers. Place on an ungreased baking sheet, brush with milk or beaten
egg for good color, and bake for about one hour at 350 degrees F or
until well browned.