[Sca-cooks] Re: ancient Roman cookery

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Sep 29 10:21:24 PDT 2005

On Sep 29, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Aurelia Coritana wrote:

> Serena, thank you so much for the roast recipe! It looks yummy.
> Since laser is extinct, lemongrass is a pretty good substitute for
> those (many) recipes that call for laser.

I'm sure it would work, but if I may ask, how close does it come? I
know asafeotida is a common substitute used in period when Cyrenacian
sylphium vanished, but it's not clear [to me] whether it's actually
similar or merely another strong-flavored root or resin. What _is_
clear, however, is that lemongrass and asafeotida are really
different (asafeotida tastes a bit like garlicky musk). What's the
rationale for lemongrass? I ask only because it's an ingredient
substitution I've never heard of until now, and I've been doing Roman
food for a while myself.

Hey, I even _like_ lemongrass more than I like asafeotida, although
the latter is great with fish dishes ;-).

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04