[Sca-cooks] Re: ancient Roman cookery

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 29 11:33:18 PDT 2005

Silphium (AKA sylphium, silphion, laser, laserpicium, etc.) is an extinct
member of the genus Ferula, unless one takes the opinion that it is Ferula
tingitana.  The plant is dipicted on the back of Cyrenian coins.  If
silphium is F. tingitana, it is making a comeback in North Africa and is not
total extinct.

There is a question as to whether or not laser was originally attributed to
silphium and then transferred to asafoetida, or whether it was always used
for asafoetida.  In either case, I gather that asafoetida was considered a
poor substitute for silphium.

I also doubt lemongrass is a proper substitute for silphium.

Gernot Katzer provides some interesting information on the subject.

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Silphion.html

Bear