[Sca-cooks] ancient Roman cookery

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 29 10:58:54 PDT 2005

I think you will find a number of us have experimented with Roman recipes.
A number of years ago, I did a Baronesses Luncheon from my experiments.
I've never tried to put together a Roman feast, mostly because I haven't had
an early enough persona patron.  I'm actually more interested in the grain
dishes like polenta and the breads.

The few experiments I did with garum, I used a Vietnamese fish sauce or
Worchestshire, depending on availability.  A few years ago, I was gifted
with a copy of a scholarly text on garum and liquamen.  I haven't done
anything with it--yet.

Bear