[Sca-cooks] Re: ancient Roman cookery

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Fri Sep 30 01:31:23 PDT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 29. September 2005 18:47 schrieb Aurelia Coritana:

> Giano/Titus, I am pleased to make your acquaintance. I frequently
> experiment with Roman recipes, but usually substitute salt for garum.
> Recently I use a black bean garlic sauce just for fun, but have never fully
> appreciated the idea of garum in certain contexts. Fish sauce in pear
> patina - I have trouble wrapping my brain around that!

It's really just a tiny dash to accentuate the flavour, the same way you'd add
a tiny pinch of salt to a pudding or custard.

But if you want some more prominent 'garum surprise', try the gustum de
praecoquiis from Apicius - apricots cooked with honey, garum and herbs. It
takes getting used to, but if you like chutneys you'll love this.

Giano