[Sca-cooks] Re: Manus Christi

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Sep 29 16:01:44 PDT 2005

Hess suggests that pearls were used at times and not gold. Recipe
S110 is the same recipe as the S107 To Make Manus Christi except it has
no gold in it. So I suppose they might be Aromaticum Lozenges, if I
make them without gold.
I think however there are different kinds of confections that share the
same name.
Laura Mason when quoting that elusive York archival document says
that one gets manus Christi if one omits the honey from the paste ryall
recipe
and cuts the mixture into gobbets. It's a mixture of sugar and egg
whites flavored by spices.
That might be its earliest appearance in a manuscript in fact. That one
doesn't contain gold.
So when did gold become a needed part of the recipe?
I'll try and run a search on the term through some online collections
in the am. Right now it's not connecting.

Johnnae